General Policy | Website Policy
In handling your personal information, Queenslanders Credit Union (Queenslanders) is committed to complying with the Privacy Act 1988, the National Privacy Principles and the Mutual Banking Code of Practice.
Collection and use of personal information
We collect personal information about you, and will hold that information, for these purposes:
- Providing you with membership benefits or information about those benefits and our financial services and products;
- Providing you with our financial services and products;
- Providing you with information about financial services and products from 3rd parties we have arrangements with;
- Conducting market or customer satisfaction research; and
- Complying with legislative and regulatory requirements.
When you apply for a loan or offer to guarantee a loan we also collect information about you. This is in the form of a credit report, from credit reporting agency Veda Advantage, to assess your capacity to repay. However, we can only do this with your consent.
You can obtain a copy of your own credit report from Veda Advantage at any time:
Fees will apply. To find out about fees or payment options visit the website or phone Veda Advantage on 1300 762 207.
The law also requires us to collect and hold personal information about you for these purposes:
- As a member of the Credit Union for our register of members;
- When you open an account with us to verify your identity and address;
- When we give you a loan for our assessment of your capacity to pay; and
- If you are acting as a guarantor on a loan.
Providing your personal information to other organisations
In providing our financial services and products to you, it may be necessary for us to disclose your personal information to other organisations. We only disclose your personal information to the extent necessary and as required by law. The types of organisations that we can disclose your personal information to are:
- When applying for a loan:
- Credit reporting agencies and other financial institutions that have previously lent you money – but only with your consent;
- Brokers and agents who have referred your business to us;
- Persons you name as referees, or your employer, in loan applications;
- Your solicitors or conveyancing agents;
- Property valuers and insurers for property loans;
- Lenders mortgage insurers;
- Mortgage documentation service;
- Companies involved in providing securitised mortgages, such as the trustee or manager of the securitisation program; and
- Your guarantor.
- When enforcing a loan:
- Debt collection agencies;
- Process servers; and
- Courts of law with jurisdiction over the enforcement of debts and securities.
- When you make a complaint to us about our services or products – our external dispute resolution centre;
- When we engage contractors for statement printing and mail out, card and cheque production, market research or direct marketing – these contractors are all subject to confidentiality agreements with us and cannot use your personal information except for our purposes;
- When we have an arrangement with a 3rd party product supplier – those 3rd parties to provide information to you about their services and products;
- A credit reporting agency to allow it to create or maintain a credit information file containing information about dishonoured cheques – cheques drawn by you for $100 or more which have been dishonoured more than once; and
- When we are required to do so by law or court order – to the regulator, agency, organisation or person etc authorised to receive the information.
You may access your personal information at any time by asking us. We may charge you a fee for this. We will tell you what the fee is at the time. If you ask us to correct any personal information we hold, we will do so, and without cost to you.
If you do not want to be contacted as part of any direct marketing or similar campaign, please contact us as detailed below.
What if you do not wish to provide us with information?
If you do not give us the personal information we require, we may not be able to admit you to membership or provide you with the financial service or product you have applied for.
You can contact us by:
GPO Box 2219
Brisbane Qld 4001
(07) 3218 7200 (Brisbane Head Office)
1800 177 278 (Outside Brisbane)
(07) 3221 5169
Queenslanders Credit Union understands and appreciates that you, as a Queenslanders Credit Union web site visitor, consider the confidentiality and security of information we may collect about you to be paramount. Queenslanders Credit Union is committed to providing you with high quality financial services within a secure and confidential online environment. For your information, our Privacy Statement sets out:
- What information we may collect from you;
- What a cookie is and how it is used;
- How your information may be used;
- The security of any information you provide;
- How you may access and correct your information; and
- How you can contact us.
In this Privacy Statement, the expressions “we”, “us” and "our” are a reference to Queenslanders Credit Union Ltd and any related entities.
What Information we collect from you
The information that we collect about you will depend on the functions that you use within Queenslanders Credit Union web site. We will not collect any information that identifies you as an individual unless you knowingly provide it to us. Any personal information you supply will be used only in accordance with this Privacy Statement. If you browse on the site, read or download information, our system will record the date and time of your visit and the pages viewed and information downloaded.
A cookie is a small data file placed on your computer by the Queenslanders Credit Union web site server. A cookie contains information about your visit to the site. When you visit the site again, our server will look for the cookie and structure itself based on the information provided. A cookie identifies your computer to our web server when you visit the site. We use browser cookies to improve the speed and reliability of our security system. We do not use the cookie to collect or store personal information about you. It is recommended that you turn off any cookie warnings in your browser before using this site to allow you to make full use of all website functions, including, for example, online banking.
Use and Disclosure of Information
Any information we collect from you via the site may be made available to, or used by, our employees or any entity carrying out functions on behalf of Queenslanders Credit Union for:
- The purpose of enabling us to provide products, services or information to you in accordance with your request or reasonable expectations;
- The purpose of enabling us to ascertain whether or not we have other services or products which may foreseeably meet your needs, and to notify you about this; and
- Any other purpose required or authorised by law.
We will only disclose personal information to third party entities carrying out functions on our behalf on a confidential basis.
You should note that information we collect from you might also be disclosed to third parties if that disclosure is required or authorised by law. If you do not consent to any of the above please contact us on 1800 177 278 (toll free) during business hours, write to us at GPO Box 2219, Brisbane Q 4001, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security of your Information
Queenslanders Credit Union takes reasonable steps to preserve the security of personal information it collects via the site. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Accordingly, although we strive to protect such information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you send to us or we receive via our online products or services; therefore, such transmissions are performed at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we endeavour to preserve the security of information on our own system.
Your user name and password are encrypted for privacy during transmission using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol. To ensure your browser is SSL compliant, check the bottom status bar now. You should see either a closed padlock or a non-broken key symbol.
Your account information is password and user ID protected and we recommend you do not divulge your password or user ID to anyone. From time to time the site may contain links to other websites, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these web sites.
Access and updating of information
You acknowledge and accept that your use of the site indicates your acceptance of the site terms and conditions of use and this privacy statement. This privacy statement may change from time to time, so please check back occasionally. Any information collected after an amended Privacy Statement has been posted on this site will be subject to that amended Privacy Statement.
If you have any questions or feedback about this statement or any privacy issues concerning our procedures and/or practices, please contact Queenslanders Credit Union, GPO Box 2219, Brisbane Q 4001, at any time in writing or send an email to email@example.com.